- In the summer of 2019, the YCB piloted an asset mapping toolkit and technical assistance process designed by The Forum for Youth Investment. It is aimed at supporting cross-system conversations about how to improve approaches and practices of the staff that work directly with young people across the many places where children, youth, and young adults spend their time. The YCB used this lens to better assess the degree to which existing practices defined by official documents are consistent with the science of learning and development.
- With a wide spectrum of system stakeholders, this provided an opportunity to validate and reinforce their commitment to best operationalizing the science beyond just evidence-based programs. It supported their ability to reflect on both the official practices and the informal implementation of those practices.
- Several agencies, including juvenile probation and child welfare independent living, realized value in using the tools internally with staff to enhance buy-in for a new developmental focus to the work.
- The groups recognized immediate relevance for how to use this perspective on developmental practices in existing efforts, including the:
- Youth Master Plan,
- Child Well Being Initiative,
- Current assessment of juvenile probation by RFK Juvenile Justice Center,
- Better Together Hennepin (current teen pregnancy collective impact effort), and
- City Children’s Cabinet.