Youth M.O.V.E. National: Making a Difference through Youth-Adult Partnerships
About the Collaboration
- Youth M.O.V.E. National specializes in serving both youth and adults. This practice reflects the belief that youth and adult voices have equal value in partnerships and that both parties need skills in order to work together effectively.
- The organization provides training and technical assistance to help youth and adults become effective at working together to change systems.
- The organization works to develop national peer support standards and provide technical assistance for states that want to provide peer support services, including Medicaid billing.
- The organization assesses organizational readiness for providing peer support services and provides training for human resource departments on how to support young people involved with systems as employees.
- The organization believes in the importance of recognizing life transitions. That is why its “generation next” program trains young people involved with systems to share their stories at different stages in their lives, whether they currently serve as advocates themselves, advocate on behalf of other youth, or now play the role of supportive adults.
Youth M.O.V.E. National’s key programs and initiatives include:
- Dare to Dream America — Inspired by Dare to Dream Canada, this youth-led funding program engages youth ages 13–25 in developing creative projects that promote mental health and well-being.
- What Helps What Harms — This national policy initiative has been led by the Bravehearts M.O.V.E. New York chapter. It engages a collaboration of over 50 chapters across the country in holding forums identifying and sharing what helps youth become successful as well as what is harmful in their lives.
- The National Commission on Youth Peer Support — Youth, young adults, and adults work together to develop best practices in the field of peer support. This project is helping shape national standards for youth peer support.
- The National Young Leader’s Network (NYLN) — This network is a pool of diverse youth who speak at national events.