Youth Participatory Action Research with Children of Incarcerated Parents
Out of a large number of qualified applications, The Interagency Working Group on Youth Programs and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention is pleased to announce the selection of two groups of researchers to receive awards to advance youth participatory action research (YPAR) on issues affecting children and youth who have or have had an incarcerated parent (COIP) in order to improve practices and support policymakers and practitioners in this field. The proposed research will engage youth with this experience as full partners in doing the research and disseminating the results.
Selected projects are:
- Dr. Elizabeth Benninger and her team from Case Western University: “Raising Voices: Youth Participatory Action Research (YPAR) to explore experiences and strategies for improving the wellbeing of youth with incarcerated parents”
- Dr. Michelle Abraczinskas and her team from the River Phoenix Center for Peacebuilding: “Nothing about us without us: Amplifying the perspectives of youth with experiences of parental incarceration through youth participatory action research”
Research will begin immediately with findings expected in Spring 2022.
We invite you to sign up for the youth.gov newsletter and the COIP list serv to stay abreast of new information and opportunities, including on youth engagement and funding. You can sign up for the newsletter here: https://youth.gov/newsletter and for the COIP list serv here: https://youth.gov/youth-topics/children-of-incarcerated-parents/children-incarcerated-parents-listserv-registration.
We also encourage you to share with the youth with whom you are connected both the Youth Engaged 4 Change (YE4C) website and the related social media outlets. We created Youth Engaged 4 Change (YE4C) to provide youth-focused resources and opportunities that inspire and empower young people to make a difference in their lives and in the world around them. Please share YE4C with youth in your network and invite them to follow YE4C on social media.
- YE4C Website: https://engage.youth.gov
- YE4C Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/youthengaged4change/
- YE4C Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/YouthEngaged4Change/
- YE4C Radio: https://soundcloud.com/youthengaged4change