U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development
The mission of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all. HUD programs provide supports for youth and their families, as youth are a large proportion of the residents of public housing developments. HUD also houses the Office of Community Planning and Development (CPD) and the Office of Public and Indian Housing.
HUD funding opportunities
This HUD webpage provides information on discretionary HUD grants and funding opportunities.
CPD funding opportunities
The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program is a flexible program that provides communities with resources to address a wide range of unique community development needs.
Selected Programs and Initiatives
- Choice Neighborhoods provides grants to help local leaders, residents, public housing authorities, cities, schools, police, business owners, nonprofits, and private developers create and implement a plan that transforms distressed neighborhoods into high-quality and sustainable mixed-income neighborhoods by linking housing improvements with appropriate services, safety, schools, public assets, and commercial activity. An emphasis is placed on improving educational outcomes and intergenerational mobility for youth through services and supports delivered directly to youth and their families.
- HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing program combines Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance for homeless veterans and their families with case management and clinical services.
- Neighborhood Networks provides grants to Public Housing Authorities to establish, expand, and/or update community technology centers that offer access to computers, computer training, and the Internet.
- Resident Opportunities and Self Sufficiency provides funding to Public Housing Authorities to hire a program coordinator who links public housing residents with supportive services, resident empowerment activities, and assistance in becoming economically self-sufficient.
Clearinghouses and Technical Assistance
- HUD State Information provides links, news, and contact information for HUD initiatives on a state-by-state basis.
- Low-Rent Apartment Search helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants with this search tool that enables individuals to enter a city and state to find a list of affordable apartments nearby and apply directly at the management office.